For Day 11 of our Very Bourbon Christmas, we’re going to be trying out the Bourbon Sour!
Jerry Thomas made the simple formula for a sour law in his 1862 The Bartenders Guide: spirit, sweetener, citrus.
One of the most popular cocktails in this family is the Whiskey Sour, which can be made with many types of whiskey, but we prefer to make it with a Bourbon instead.
The Bourbon Sour
● 2 ounces bourbon
● 3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
● 1/2 ounce simple syrup
● 1/2 ounce egg white (optional)
● Garnish: Angostura bitters
1. Add bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup, and egg white, if using, to a shaker and dry-shake for 30 seconds without ice.
2. Add ice and shake again until well-chilled.
3. Strain into a coupe glass.
4. Garnish with 3 or 4 drops of Angostura bitters.
Click here for more 12 days of bourbon Xmas and a Christmas bourbon surprise!