July 24th is National Tequila Day.
Tequila is a spirit made from the agave plant. Mexico is the only country that can legally produce Tequila and it can only be made in the state of Jalisco and surrounding regions.
Tequila is usually bottled in one of five categories:
- Blanco (white) or Plata (silver): A white spirit that is unaged and bottled or stored immediately after distillation.
- Joven (young) or Oro (gold): This is an unaged silver tequila that may be flavored with caramel coloring or oak extract. It can also be a blend of silver tequila with aged and/or extra-aged tequila.
- Reposado (rested): Tequila that is aged a minimum of two months, but less than a year in oak barrels of any size.
- Añejo (aged or vintage): Has been aged a minimum of one year, but less than three years in small oak barrels.
- Extra Añejo (extra aged or ultra-aged): Tequila that is aged a minimum of three years in oak barrels. This category was established in March 2006.
In the late 1990s, Sammy Hagar began selling patrons of his Cabo Wabo resort a house brand, hand-made tequila that he commissioned from a family owned distillery in Jalisco. It became a quick success and by 2006 it was the second-best-selling premium tequila in the US. Cabo Wabo Tequila is bottled in unique, hand-blown artisan glass bottles.
Cabo Wabo Tequila Blanco offers an aroma with a fresh, floral bouquet, spicy lime and mint. Flavors of agave and a slight spice character deliver a crisp clean finish. This tequila has won multiple awards including Bronze and Silver at the San Francisco World Spirts Competition and Silver at the 2013 International Wine and Spirts Competition.
Cabo Wabo Tequila Blanco is easily enjoyed as a chilled shot or in your favorite cocktail. Here are some recipes to help you celebrate National Tequila Day:
- 3 oz Cabo Blanco Tequila
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz Contreau
- Splash of Grand Marnier
Combine all of the ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake several times. Strain, pour, and enjoy.
- 24 oz. (2 bottles) Light Beer
- 12 oz. Can Frozen Limeade
- 8 oz. Cabo Wabo Blanco
Fill pitcher with ice. Add beer, limeade and Cabo. Stir. Throw in some lime wedges. Done.
- 2 oz. Cabo Blanco
- ½. Oz Campari
- ½ oz Freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ oz. freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- ½ oz. simple syrup
Garnish with a grapefruit rind