For more than three decades, Bell’s has been making a variety of one-of-a-kind, artisanal beers, and as a result, Bells’ breweries have become a preeminent Great Lakes Regional and further.
The Brewery was the first in Michigan to sell beer by the glass and open an onsite pub. Bell’s beer is distributed to 43 states, and their two breweries feature an unparalleled beer garden, a space for concerts, and a taproom and are operated with environmental sustainability in mind.
Bell’s takes pride in their beer and breweries and in an equitable, inclusionary workplace that encourages diversity, individualism, and a business environment that nurtures diverse ideas among their 500 plus employees. In short, Bell’s is craft beer on a mission.
Some Historical Perspective
After arriving in Kalamazoo, Michigan, to attend Kalamazoo College, Larry Bell started humbly home-brewing beer in his basement in the early 1980s. In 1983, in Downtown Kalamazoo, Larry opened a homebrew supply shop.
As word spread about his beer, people requested more samples. Larry responded by opening the Kalamazoo Brewing Co, started brewing beer commercially in a 15-gallon soup pot, and his brewing company sold its first beer on September 19, 1985.
A Bell’s Brewery timeline:
· 1985: Bell’s first brew beer was Amber Ale.
· 1900: By installing a 2-barrel brew system, Bell’s increases brewing capacity.
· 1995; Bell’s debuted their Beer Garden. An outdoor space near the Eccentric Café.
· 2000: Comstock Township, Michigan, becomes the home of Bell’s main Brewery.
· 2005: The Comstock Brewery expands.
· 2010: Oarsman Ale and The Oracle were first brewed; Larry Bell takes home the Brewers Association Recognition Award
· 2015: Improvements at the Comstock Brewery: A wastewater treatment facility called “the Cube” comes online. The Quality lab upgrades its technology game to measure water quality and analyze beer DNA.
· 2020: Bell’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion strengthens through implementing multiple initiatives.
Celebrate Spring. Celebrate Oberon Day
On March 21, 2022. Bell’s Brewery released their renowned seasonal wheat beer Bell’s Oberon and celebrated the release of the beer and being one step closer to spring by celebrating Oberon day at their breweries in Michigan.
Next year, celebrate Oberon Day Like They Do at Bell’s Brewery!