Creating your own cocktails at home is a great way to experiment with different flavors and ingredients. This goes beyond using different liquors and mixers. If you are someone who enjoys gardening, odds are you’ve planted fresh herbs. These herbs can make a great addition to a variety of sauces, soups, and other food recipes. Herbs can also be an excellent addition to a number of different cocktails. Your home garden can have the fresh ingredients you need to kick any cocktail up a notch.
Mint is a refreshing herb that goes great in a number of different cocktails. Mint is most commonly recognized in a mojito. All you need to make a perfect mojito at home is fresh mint, simple syrup, clear rum, soda water, and lime. Just follow these steps to make a crisp and refreshing mojito:
- Place 2 limes, 4-5 mint leaves, and ½ ounce of simple syrup into the bottom of a glass. Simple syrup is sugar and hot water combined and cooled in equal parts. You’ll muddle these ingredients together
- Leave muddled ingredients at the bottom of the glass and fill with ice to the rim
- Add 2.5 ounces of rum to your glass
- Shake rum and ingredients together before adding soda water
- Add soda water and enjoy
Mint can also be used to create the classic Kentucky Derby cocktail, a Mint Julep. You’ll need bourbon, sugar (you can use your simple syrup), mint, and crushed ice. A Pimm’s Cup is another popular summer cocktail. Pimm’s is a gin-based liqueur that is commonly topped with ginger ale and garnished with mint, cucumber, and other veggies and fruit.
Basil offers a savory-sweet flavor with a peppery edge. Basil can be added to almost any type of cocktail for an added flavor, especially for cocktails that are on the sweeter side. A popular cocktail option is the Pineapple Basil cocktail. To make this cocktail you’ll need:
- Place 4-5 basic leaves into a glass with freshly squeezed lime.
- Add ice to the top of the glass
- Add 1.5 ounces of your favorite gin
- Top with pineapple juice and club soda
You can also use basil to create a refreshing Strawberry Basil Lemonade. All you need for this cocktail is strawberry vodka, sliced strawberries, basil, and lemonade.
Rosemary provides piney notes that are great as an additive to the cocktail as well as a simple garnish. Rosemary does a great job of balancing out flavors. A Rosemary Greyhound is a light and refreshing drink that is perfect for summer. To create a rosemary greyhound, you’ll need:
- Place rosemary in your cocktail glass and top with ice.
- Add 1.5 ounces of your favorite vodka
- Top with grapefruit juice
- Shake and enjoy
Stop Into Payless Liquors
If you have the herbs, we have the liquor and mixes you need to create a summer cocktail that is fresh and satisfying. Herbs are a great way to experiment with your cocktails to awaken flavors you’d never suspect. You can stop into our store or use our pickup order form for on-the-go convenience.